Untreated gum disease can lead to tooth loss and affect your overall well-being. But don't worry! We'll explore the exciting world of treatments, including LANAP laser treatment in Nashville. Discover the path to healthy gums and a brighter smile. Check out the various options available to combat gum disease and regain oral health.
What Are the Different Treatments for Gum Disease?
What Is Gum Disease?
Gum disease, including gingivitis and periodontitis, can wreak havoc on your oral health if left untreated. These conditions are typically caused by the buildup of plaque and tartar on your teeth, leading to inflammation and damage to the gums.
Common risk factors include poor oral hygiene, smoking, hormonal changes, and certain health conditions. Recognizing the early signs of gum disease, such as swollen or bleeding gums, is essential for prompt intervention.
Prevention and Early Intervention
Preventing gum disease starts with good oral hygiene practices. Brush your teeth twice daily, floss regularly, and schedule regular dental check-ups. Professional dental cleanings can remove plaque and tartar that are difficult to reach through regular brushing alone. Moreover, maintaining a balanced diet and avoiding tobacco products can also contribute to gum health.
Non-Surgical Treatment Options
Non-surgical treatment options for gum disease include the following:
- Professional Dental Cleaning: Regular dental cleanings are crucial for removing plaque and tartar buildup contributing to gum disease. Your dental hygienist will skillfully clean your teeth and gums, reaching areas that are difficult to clean at home.
- Scaling and Root Planing: This is a thorough cleaning procedure that focuses on removing plaque and tartar deposits located below the gum line. During this treatment, dental professionals meticulously eliminate these harmful substances and carefully smooth the tooth roots. By doing so, they create a clean and smooth surface that discourages the accumulation of bacteria, thus preventing further infection.
- Antibiotic Therapy: Dentists may prescribe antibiotics in conjunction with other treatments to control bacterial infection. Antibiotics can be administered orally or topically through mouth rinses or gels.
- LANAP (Laser-Assisted New Attachment Procedure): LANAP is a minimally invasive and FDA-approved treatment for gum disease. Using a specialized laser, LANAP precisely targets and removes diseased gum tissue while preserving healthy tissue.
The laser kills bacteria and promotes the regeneration of healthy gum tissue, stimulating the body's natural healing process. LANAP offers the advantages of reduced pain, swelling, and faster recovery compared to traditional gum surgery. It also preserves more healthy gum tissue, resulting in better aesthetic outcomes.
Surgical treatment options for gum disease:
- Flap Surgery: In this procedure, the gums are lifted, and the underlying tartar is removed. The gum tissue is then repositioned to reduce pocket depth, making it easier to maintain proper oral hygiene.
- Dental Crown Lengthening: In cases where gum disease has caused excessive gum tissue, crown lengthening can be performed to expose more of the tooth structure. This helps in effectively treating and maintaining gum health.
Do You Have More Questions About LANAP Laser Treatment in Nashville?
Taking care of gum disease is vital for maintaining optimal oral health. Effective options are available to combat gum disease at various stages, whether through non-surgical methods or surgical interventions. We're here for you if you need professional dental care and expertise.
At Nashville Dental Implants, our skilled professionals can provide personalized treatment plans and guide you toward achieving healthier gums and a brighter smile. Don't hesitate to take the first step towards better oral health—schedule an appointment today!