What’s wrong with having a few missing teeth? Besides compromising oral function, missing teeth can result in low self-esteem, negatively affecting your life in many ways. With the help of restorative dentistry, your smile and oral health can be restored to their former glory. Two of the most requested procedures are traditional and implant-retained dentures in Nashville.
A Comparison of Implant-Retained Dentures and Traditional Dentures
Traditional dentures are removable dental prostheses designed to fill the gap from missing teeth. Typically, they are made of acrylic or a combination of metal and acrylic. Each device is customized to fit the exact contours of your mouth. They can replace an entire arch of teeth (complete dentures) or a few missing teeth (partial dentures).
A denture can improve your smile and your ability to chew and speak. Regular maintenance is a must to keep your denture in great shape. It’s important to soak your denture in a special solution when you’re not wearing it to avoid warping. You must also steer clear of hard and chewy foods, as they can cause your denture to break. Dental visits are also necessary to ensure that your dentures continue to fit properly.
Implant-retained dentures, also known as implant-supported dentures, are a type of denture that is anchored to your jawbone using screw-shaped metal rods called dental implants. These tiny posts are made from titanium and surgically placed within your jawbone to serve as a solid foundation for the denture. The denture is then attached to the implants using special connectors, providing a secure and stable fit.
What Makes Implant-Retained Dentures Superior to Traditional Dentures?
Implant-anchored dentures offer several benefits over traditional dentures:
- Stability: Implant-anchored dentures are more stable and secure than traditional dentures, which can slip or move in the mouth.
- Comfort: Implant-anchored dentures are more comfortable to wear than traditional dentures since they do not put pressure on the gums.
- Function: They allow for better chewing and speaking compared to traditional dentures.
- Aesthetics: Implant-retained dentures look and feel more natural compared to traditional dentures.
- Preservation of Jawbone: Did you know implant-retained dentures can preserve your jawbone and prevent bone loss? That’s because the implants retain chewing stimulation, preventing bone tissue resorption.
- Durability: Implant-retained dentures are inarguably more durable than traditional dentures and last longer with proper care.
It's important to mention that implant-anchored dentures are typically more expensive than traditional dentures and may not be an option for everyone. A consultation with a dentist or dental surgeon is necessary to determine if implant-anchored dentures suit you.
Want To Know if You Qualify for Implant-Retained Dentures in Nashville?
Have you decided which one to choose? While you can have your preference, ultimately, your dentist will let you know what type of restoration is right for you based on your needs, history, lifestyle, and budget. Regardless, dentures are generally an affordable way to restore your smile and oral function.
At Nashville Dental Implants, we will examine your mouth and recommend a treatment plan that reflects your needs and goals. Our team has years of experience to provide you with the best care. Contact us for a consultation and full mouth evaluation.